Working with the American Job Center

What to expect when you work with us

Trying to find the right job and education opportunities can be overwhelming. We're here to help! Use our site to learn about the services available to you, then let’s talk in-person. You will have the chance to meet with a case manager who can help you enroll!

What to expect when you work with us

Trying to find the right job and education opportunities can be overwhelming. We're here to help! Use our site to learn about the services available to you, then let’s talk in-person. You will have the chance to meet with a case manager who can help you enroll!

Learn about our services

Use our website to browse the services that are available and understand more about the documents you need bring with you when you enroll. The Match with Services tab above is a good way to find the services that are right for you or click below to explore all services.

Explore Services

Meet with a case manager

Once you know what services you'd like to receive, book an appointment in-person or virtually to get started. You'll get the opportunity to meet one-on-one with a case manager who will help you plan for your future!

Request an appointment

Register on Jobs4TN

You'll need to create a Jobs4TN account in order to start the enrollment process. There are lots of resources on this site. Click on the link below to get straight to registration!

Take me there

Frequently asked questions

What is an American Job Center?

An American Job Center (AJC) is the one-stop shop for Tennesseans who want FREE help to build their skills, find a great job, and more! You can find what AJC services are right for you by using our service matcher or by going to the closest American Job Center near you!

How can you help me?

​​​​​​You can find a list of all available services on our service explorer page or you can use our service matcher to find out which of those services are right for you!

How do I apply for services

Use our service matcher to find out what services are right for you. At the end of the service matcher, you’ll have the option to connect with someone at your closest AJC. You’ll need to request an appointment to enroll for services.

What is Jobs4TN?

Jobs4TN is the website we use to enroll you in services. That’s not all though! You can also use Jobs4TN to look for jobs in your area, find available training programs, build a resume, and much more!

If you need help creating an account, you can check out the step-by-step guide posted below or call your local American Job Center for help!

How does this whole thing work?

Great question! Here's how it works:

  1. Start by using our service matcher (link below) to find the right services for you.
  2. At the end of the service matcher quiz, you'll receive a little barcode (we call it a "QR code") -- screenshot that. You could also email or text it to yourself, or even print it. When you meet with an American Job Center representative, you can show them this barcode to help them quickly learn more about what you need.
  3. You’ll also see a button to request an appointment at the service matcher quiz. We suggest you request an appointment with a representative at your local American Job Center to start the enrollment process.
  4. On the day of your appointment, you should collect all your necessary verification documents (such as your photo ID, proof of citizenship status) to bring to the center. You can find the right documents by accessing the full list of programs. Find out if you're eligible for the program by reviewing the eligibility requirements. 
  5. Go to your local American Job Center and share your barcode with the welcome staff. They will get you connected with the right representative.
  6. When you meet with a representative, they will verify your eligibility and if you are eligible for services, they will begin the enrollment process.

How do I make an appointment if I don't have an email?

We have a couple of ideas for you: 

  • You can create an email for free! Try out,, or There are a lot of options out there. Creating an email usually takes less than 5 minutes. 
  • You can always call your local American Job Center and set up an appointment over the phone. Use the link below to find the closest one to you! 

Where can I get more information about Unemployment?

This site is for helping you advance your career. To learn more about unemployment, talk to our experts!

Can I get help finding a job?

​​​​​​We know how tough it can be to find a new job. Whether you’re looking for your first job or you’re a seasoned employee making a career change, Tennessee's American Job Centers offer services targeted to your employment needs. Use our service matcher to see how we can help you, then request an appointment with your local American Job Center.

Available services:

  • Resource rooms with computer, free internet, telephone and fax access
  • On-site job recruiting events
  • Resume, interview, and job search workshops
  • Training and certification opportunities
  • Job fairs
  • Connect with employers and available jobs

You can also check out the job postings on another website called Jobs4TN. Applicants can register, post their resume and gain access to more than 90,000 daily job openings.

What training is available? Can I get help paying for training?

Depending on your specific circumstance, we might be able to help you pay for training! Check out our Education services and review the eligibility requirements. You can also browse Jobs4TN for the various eligible training opportunities across the state. We have hand-selected educational institutions and specific classes that teach the skills to be successful in the Tennessee workforce. Make an appointment, and we can help you determine which program is best for you!

To find the current available training opportunities, follow the steps below:

  1. Go to (link below)
  2. On the far right column, under "Stats and Insights," click "Education Requirements"
  3. Select either "Training Providers and Schools" or "Training and Education Programs" to find a list of available training programs and providers.
  4. Search for the program based on your interests (key words, cost, location, etc.) OR select the right tab at the top to view the entire listing

What is a "trade impacted worker?" How do I know if I am trade impacted?

​​​​​​You are a “trade impacted worker” if you have lost your job or been laid off because of one of the reasons listed below:

  • Your company has outsourced your job to another country, or
  • Your company is having trouble competing with foreign products or services (may have closed some or all of the business) 
  • Your company supplies to another company that has been impacted by international trade

For example, if you work for a paper mill that moved part of its production to Mexico, you might be considered a trade impacted worker. Another example would be if your company laid people off because it was struggling to compete with Canadian imports.

If this sounds like you, go to the US Department of Labor's "Trade Adjustment Assistance for Workers" website (link below) and click on "File a Petition." If your petition is approved, let us know! It may qualify you for additional services at an American Job Center!

What is the Adult Education program?

​​​​​​The Adult Education program helps you earn your high school equivalency diploma (aka GED or HiSET). You need a high school diploma or equivalency in order to get in most training or college programs. But even if you have a diploma, Adult Education can help you brush up on your math, reading, and writing!

What is SNAP?

If you are struggling to make ends meet, SNAP gives you food-purchasing assistance to buy the food you need to stay healthy and focus your money on paying for other living expenses.

If you qualify for SNAP, you might be asked to commit to working or volunteering 20 hours per week or participate in a qualified training program for an average of 20 hours per week. The “SNAP Employment and Training Program” is one way you can meet this requirement while you look for a new job or improve your job skills. Ask us about it to learn more!

What is TANF/Families First?

​​​​​​Families First, the state’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, is a workforce development and employment program. The Families First program emphasizes work, training, and personal responsibility. It is temporary and has a primary focus on gaining self-sufficiency through employment. The Families First program helps participants reach this goal by providing temporary cash assistance, transportation, childcare assistance, education, job training, employment activities, and other support services.

What is Vocational Rehabilitation?

Vocational Rehabilitation is a program that helps individuals with disabilities overcome barriers to obtaining, maintaining, or getting back to work.

At American Job Centers, we work jointly with Vocational Rehabilitation, a DHS program, to deliver the Workforce Development Program for Individuals with Disabilities. This program includes help through job counseling, work experiences, training/education opportunities, and other services that help you achieve your goals.

What is the Youth program?

The Youth program offers education and job services to eligible individuals between the ages of 14 – 24. Find out more using the links below!

Are there any services for seniors?

Yes! Learn more about our Senior Employment program for unemployed individuals over the age of 55 by clicking the link below!

What can you do for veterans?

We have special veteran representatives who help other veterans transition to meaningful civilian employment by providing employment services at the American Job Centers.

What if I have a criminal history? Can I still get a job?

That’s okay! We believe everyone deserves a second chance, and we have services that are designed to help you manage the challenges of finding a job. Find a local American Job Center and talk to a representative about how we can help.

People keep mentioning WIOA... What is that?

​​​​​​The Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act (WIOA, pronounced “we-O-uh”) is the Federal law that helps fund many of our employment and training programs. WIOA funds help people with their employment and training needs and assist with the personal challenges that may be a barrier to career success.

What is an affiliate American Job Center? What is a comprehensive center?

There are actually four different types of American Job Centers across the state.

  • Comprehensive centers have representatives that can enroll you in any program. These are full service sites.
  • Affiliate centers have all of the core programs represented, but sometimes may have to refer you to another center if you need something specific.
  • Specialized centers are centers that focus on serving specific populations (like veterans or youth). However, that doesn't mean they will turn you away if you aren't in that "special" population. If you're worried that might not be the right center for you, call before you go and make sure there's someone there that can help you.
  • Access points are places that do not offer any 1:1 help, but they have computer and other resources to help you learn more about American Job Centers.

On our Find a Job Center page, we have list of all the centers and what services are available there.